The Friends of The Australian Ballet is the principal support group in NSW for The Australian Ballet.
The Friends raise funds by offering our members exclusive entrée to The Australian Ballet with events including:
- Attendance at The Australian Ballet final dress rehearsals
- Attendance at Behind the Scenes events
- Access to programs and special events including Forums and Talks by dance and theatre specialists and practitioners
- Film Screenings of International Dance events
- Welcome reception for the new dancers – an exclusive opportunity for friends to meet and support the dancers new to the company
- High Tea – an opportunity to celebrate dance and ballet with current and former stars of the ballet
- Cocktail functions and luncheons with special guests from The Australian Ballet alumni.
Since its inception in 1973, the Friends has:
- Sold over ½ million tickets to members for The Australian Ballet dress rehearsals
- Donated the equivalent of over $10.5M to The Australian Ballet
- Presented over 400 events
- Held 40 major events
Each year the Friends raise approximately $100,000 for The Australian Ballet and sell 3,000 tickets to The Australian Ballet dress rehearsals at the Sydney Opera House.
The Friends is also committed to the development of new talent, by providing scholarships for dancers with The Australian Ballet Company and students of The Australian Ballet School. As an advocate for all forms of dance in Australia the Friends supports organisations such as the Royal Academy of Dance, AusDance, Sydney Dance Company and Bangarra Dance Company.
Council Members & Staff
Council Members as at January 2017:
Greg Khoury (Chairman)
Alan Jackson (Deputy Chair)
Bruce Pollack (Deputy Chair)
Jayne Beddoe (Ambassador)
Gary Polivnick (Treasurer)
Jane Messenger (The Australian Ballet representative)
Staff as at January 2017:
Jo Michel (FAB Administration Coordinator)
Sally-Anne Freeman (FAB Events &Marketing Coordinator)
The Friends of the Australian Ballet would like to thank its team of dedicated volunteers without whom we could not exist. Their assistance with administration and event duties allows us to produce the high quality events that we all enjoy.
Jeremy Moller (Honorary Council Associate)
The Friends of The Australian Ballet are always looking for volunteer help to support us in our activities. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org with an expression of interest.